A lot of people make hair contact before eye contact. So, concentrate on these little things and express your personality.
The Ultimate Guide for Best Flat iron for Fine Hair 2019
Table of Content
Types of Flat Iron:
The flat iron comes in many types based on many technologies which serve differently toward hair straightening and have their advantages and disadvantages. The most used technologies are listed below
1. Ionic Flat Iron:
Most commonly used technology in hair straighteners is ionic technology. Hair straighteners based on ionic technology has shown best results so far, so most of the flat iron are based on this technology.
Negative ions produced by ionic flat iron saturate the airflow to reduce the size of water droplet present in hair which helps in faster drying and beautiful frizz-free hair. Ionic technology can be delivered to hair through various methods. Different manufacturers use a different material for the plates present in flat iron used to straight hair. Three types of flat ionic fat iron based on the material used in them are as follow:
- Ceramic: Ceramic flat irons provide even heat distribution to hair which prevents over-heating of certain areas of hair and unevenly straightened hair. But the coating of ceramic plates might wear off over time and take its smoothing effect.
- Titanium: Titanium is heat sensitive and heats up quickly which work best against thick frizzy hair. But titanium flat irons cost more than ceramic and tourmaline flat irons.
- Tourmaline: Plates of tourmaline flat irons are made of finely grounded tourmaline crystal. They are also quick in heating up and work well against most of the hair types.
2. Infrared based Flat Iron:
Perfect heat penetration is achieved by virtue of infrared technology in infrared-based flat iron. Because of infrared’s greater wavelength, it provides deeper heat effect which works best for thick hair.
3. Wet to dry Flat Iron:
Wet to dry flat irons contain venting frameworks that enable you to utilize them on moist hair. These irons work particularly well on curly hair. Wet to dry flat iron make fuzzy, wavy, coarse hair straight to some extent but not as smooth and straight as previously mentioned technologies do.
List of the Best Flat irons for Fine hair (2019):
Flat irons for Fine hair
1. BIO IONIC ONE PASS STRAIGHTENING IRON
Bio Ionic is one of the leading companies in the flat iron and hairstyling industry. Their products never cease to amaze. As the name bio ionic suggest that they use ionic technology for their flat irons which is the best choice for people with thin hair. The phrase “one pass,” tells about the power of this flat iron and by virtue of its ceramic plates, it gives even distribution of heat among the hair and its silicon speed strips make hair straightening faster and its tri strip technology makes your hair 3x smoother than any other flat iron. This justifies that it is one pass is enough to straighten your hair.
It straightens your hair while maintaining the naturally shiny and sleek look of your hair. This flat iron can go up to 400° Fahrenheit and can maintain a steady temperature. Moreover, it has a multi-level heat controller and 10ft swivel cord which is rotatable 360° around the flat iron which makes it a lot easier to use.
- Technology: Nan-Ionic mineral fused to cushion plates
- Temperature Range: 240°F to 400°F
- Cord Length: 10ft swivel cord (360° rotatable)
- Plate Width: 1” plates (also comes in 1.5” variant)
2. BABYLISS PRO NANO TITANIUM PLATED STRAIGHTENING IRON
BaBylissPro is a world-leading company in hair care products. Their state-of-the-art technology makes eye-catching hairstyles with ease. This ultra-thin flat iron is the exceptionally lightweight which makes it easy to work with. If you have really fine hair then this straightener is for you as it treats fine hair just the way they are meant to be treated. With its 5” long plates it allows its user to straighten wider sections of hair which speed up the process of hair straightening and hence decreasing the hand fatigue related to it. It goes up to 450°F and offers fifty heat settings which also boosts speed and effectiveness and increases its styling flexibility. Its titanium plates are corrosion resistant and hence serves for a long time and ceramic heater allows instant heat and recovery.
- Technology: Ultra smooth titanium plates
- Temperature Range: 220°F to 450°F
- Plate Width: 1” plates (also comes in 1.5” and 2” variant)
3. RUSK ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL STRAIGHT IRON
Rusk is a notable hair care brand which is famous in Europe and North America. It was founded by Irvine and Rita Rusk and now is a part of Conair Corporation. This flat iron contains ceramic plates infused with titanium and Sol-Gel Technology which gives the advantage of both ceramic plates and titanium quick heating plates. It releases ultimate heat and has unparalleled performance. Rusk engineering professional straight iron removes the frizz and curls from hair and leaves hair straight, sleek, smooth and shiny. It also has memory function which will save your settings and will restore with just click of a button next time you use it. It has 1” plates which can go up to 400°F. If you are looking for professional-looking hair within economical price then this flat iron is for you.
- Technology: Titanium infused Ceramic plates with Sol-Gel
- Temperature Range: 280°F to 400°F
- Plate Width: 1” plates
4. HSI PROFESSIONAL CERAMIC HAIR STRAIGHTENER
HSI professional is the salon professional hair care product company. They are famous for their hair straighteners, flat irons, curling rods, blow hairdryers, and brushes. HSI professional glider is very stylish hair straightener. It has a textured body and golden joint which gives it a very fancy look. This flat iron contains ceramic plates and 8 heat sensor 4 on each plate which helps in temperature regulation. These sensors maintain even temperature throughout the plates so that a minimum number of passes are required which boosts up its performance.
Lower the number of passes lower is the chance of hair damage and more silky, smooth and shiny the hair look. Ceramic plates present in this HSI glider flat iron heats up in seconds and retain the heat for longer. It has a high range of temperature control, unlike the other flat irons which leave the hair frizz-free. With its auto-shutoff safety, you don’t need to worry in case you forget to turn it off after using it.
- Technology: Tourmaline infused Ceramic plates
- Temperature Range: 140°F to 450°F
- Plate Width: 1” plates
- Includes: Includes Free heat glove, 5ml Argan oil leave-in conditioner Bottle and heat pouch for storage
5. GHD GOLD PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE 1” STYLER
GHD stands for Good hair day. Good hair day is the United Kingdom-based hair care products manufacturing company. GHD leads the market by selling their products to over 50,000 salons worldwide. In a nutshell, GHD is a trendsetting company with professional quality products. Their products are durable with unparalleled performance. GHD gold professional flat iron has proven to give hair the look which is rich in smoothness and sleekness and better than any flat iron in the market. On top of this, it keeps the hair healthy while delivering the best performance. This flat iron can be used to get versatile styles which enhances shine and hair look healthy. It is best for hair with medium to long length.
This flat iron not only straightens the hair but can also be used to put curls, waves, and flicks to hair. Its lightweight makes it easy to utilize and it’s advance body helps it to be 50°F cooler than its actual temperature which means it can be packed immediately after styling. Auto shutoff features turn it off after 30 minutes of inactivity, in case you forget to turn it off it take care of itself. So, no need to worry. It is as effective as it straightens the hair in just 1 pass. If you have thin hair and you are looking for professional flat iron which can save your time by styling your hair quickly and puts no strain to your hands or if you are some professional hairdresser and looking for some goof flat iron then this flat iron is definitely for you.
It has smooth, contoured floating plates with new dual-zone technology i.e. containing two heat sensor for even heat distribution. With heat resistance protective plate guards you don’t need to worry about its packing after use. It can heat up to 365°F in just 25 seconds.
- Technology: Dual-zone ceramic plates
- Temperature Range: Optimum temperature control at 365°F for best results.
- Plate Width: 1” plates (also comes in 0.5” variant)
- Cord Length: 8.8ft
6. CHI PRO 1 CERAMIC FLAT IRON
CHI is a Houston based hair care Product Company known for its high-quality professional hair care products. This flat iron has 1” curved floating plates and is as light as 1 pound which makes it very easy and swift to use and flexible in styling. This product also has a large temperature range. It can vary from 180°F which can be used for very delicate hair up to 410°F which can take care of coarse thick hair easily. It has dual voltage control so that it can be used either at 110 volts or 220 volts. It also has led temperature indicator to keep track of the current temperature. Like HSI professional flat iron, it has an auto-shutoff feature which causes it to turn off after 1 hour automatically. With its tourmaline-infused ceramic plates and 30 seconds quick heating technology it removes curls and frizz from hair and leaves hair smooth and shiny.
- Technology: Tourmaline infused Ceramic plates
- Temperature Range: 180°F to 410°F
- Includes: Thermal Matt
- Plate Width: 1” plates
7. INFINIT PRO BY CONAIR FLAT IRON
Infiniti Pro by Conair gives you salon-quality smooth and stylish hair. Plates of this flat iron are made of ceramic material coated with tourmaline which prevents frizz and flyaway and helps to protect hair from sticking and gives you beautiful sleek styles which last even in a humid environment. It has 1-inch floating plates which can be heated up within 15 seconds up to 455°F with its ceramic heater technology and its 30 heat setting gives you swift and versatile styling options. Infiniti pro is lightweight and can be used fluently not for only making hair straight but also for putting curls. If you seek cheap, versatile flat iron for you’re fine hair styling at home then this product is for you.
- Technology: Tourmaline coated ceramic plates
- Temperature Range: up to 455°F
- Plate Width: 1” plates (also comes in 1.25” and 1.75” variant)
8. REMINGTON PRO 1” FLAT IRON WITH THERMALUXE
Remington Pro 1” plat iron comes with THERMALUXE advanced thermal technology contains 10 times more ceramic than any ordinary flat iron which helps in keeping hair smooth, silky and healthy after straightening session. This advanced technology prevents your hair from heat damage at the same time it quickly transforms your hair in any style you like. Floating plates help to make consistent contact with hair and its 1” inch plates are perfect for styling. It can heat up as quickly as 15 seconds and go up to 450°F. Like other flat iron, it also has an auto shut-off feature which shutdowns the flat iron after 60 minutes. Moreover, it has 30 heat settings that can fulfill any hairdresser’s need just fine. It comes with a swivel cord.
- Technology: 10x Ceramic plates
- Temperature Range: up to 450°F
- Cord Type: swivel cord
- Plate Width: 1” plates (also comes in 2” variant)
9. VOLOOM VOLUMIZING FLAT IRON
People having fine hair have seemed to have less hair volume as straighteners straighten the hair they also decrease the hair volume by settling them. But not to worry, we brought you the first VOLUMIZING flat iron by VOLOOM.
This is the revolutionary hair straightener designed especially to add volume to your hair. It not only straightens the hair but also adds volume to your precious hair at the same time. It has unique ionic technology-based ceramic patented plate design which creates volume pockets in the inner layers of hair. It has digital heat control through which you can set the temperature up to digital heat control through which you can set temperature up to 395°F and its 8ft 360° rotatable swivel cord makes it easy for you to orient the iron in any direction you want. Moreover, it has an auto-shutoff feature which shutdowns the straightener after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- Technology: Ceramic plates with unique patented plate design
- Temperature Range: 220°F to 395°F
- Cord Type: 8ft long, 360° rotatable swivel cord
- Plate Width: 1.5” plates
10. REVLON SALON STRAIGHT FLAT IRON
Revlon salon straightener gives you seductively smooth and straight hair in no time with its 30% extra-large plates. Revlon Salon straightener uses tourmaline coated ceramic plates to boost the shine of hair and protect hair from sticking to the plates. With its professional heat accelerators it can heat up to 455°F within 10 seconds and its digital LCD display helps you to keep track of the temperature. Like any other expensive hair straightener, it has an auto-shutoff feature which shutdowns the straightener when inactive. Its tangle-free swivel cord helps you to rotate it in any orientation you want to get versatile hairstyles.
- Technology: Ceramic plates with unique patented plate design
- Temperature Range: up to 455°F
- Cord Type: Tangle-free swivel cord
- Plate Width: 1” plates
Best Electric Shavers
Flat iron hair straightening tips & recommendations for Fine hair:
Fine hair means the hair which has less diameter and hence are less firm and easy to reshape because of the weak hydrogen bond but due to this weak bond they are more prone to damage and must be handled carefully while straightening.
Note: There is a difference between thin and fine hair. Thin hair means having less hair per unit area of the head while fine hair refers to a condition having less diameter of the hair.
How to check if you have Fine hair?
You can easily check your hair type by the method suggested by Papanikolas. Papanikolas says that you can test your hair type by strand test.
Take a single strand of hair between your fingers. Now,
- If you can’t feel the strand of hair between your fingers you have fine hair.
- If you can feel the hair strand but not very well, then you have medium hair.
- If you can feel thick strand between your fingers then you have thick coarse hair.
Recommended features of flat iron for fine hair:
Although hair straightening is not a difficult task and it is even easier to straighten fine hair but some people end up damaging their hair because of their aggressive use and wrong choice of flat irons. Here are some features you must consider while buying flat iron.
1. Adjustable Temperature Control:
A good flat iron has adjustable temperature control because adjusting reasonable temperature is important as the high temperature will damage your hair. Reasonable temperature range for straightening fine hair is between 200° and 350° depending upon how curly hair you have. But never go above 350° as it might damage your hair and if your hair is already damaged then stay below 300°.
2. Ceramic heated Plates:
Ceramic heated plates are best for fine hair because of their even heat distributing mechanism. They deliver heat to hair evenly which prevents overheating of certain parts of hair hence damaging them.
Tourmaline doping into ceramic plates is plus as it prevents sticking of hair to plates. Ceramic plates are cheapest so flat iron-containing ceramic plates are also inexpensive (depends on other features too).
3. Negative Ion technology:
Negative ion technology decreases the resistance offered by your hair to flat iron plates which prevent hair damaging conditions like frizzy hair and split ends.
4. Plate Size:
Flat Irons come in different plate sizes ranging from 1 inch to 2 inches and even 2.5 inches in some special models. But don’t worry for thin hair you don’t need a large plate size. Any flat iron having plate size from 1 inch to 1.25 inch is sufficient for thin hair.
Tips for hair straightening (Keeping your Hair Healthy while straightening):
Preparation for Hair Straightening:
Before jumping to hair straightening you need to prepare your hair for straightening. Following are the steps:
- Wash your hair with shampoo which is specially made for making hair sleek and straight to make sure your hair doesn’t weigh down. But not to worry this is for a better result, if you don’t have special shampoo to make your hair sleek and straight you can use simple shampoo but make sure you use good company’s shampoo.
- Condition your hair with some good hair conditioner.
- Dry your hair thoroughly. Don’t rub your hair it will cause frizz in hair. Just pat your hair gently.
- Spray heat protection serum on your hair especially on the ends. It will prevent from damaging of hair and split ends.
- Blow-dry your hair at low speed.
- Comb your hair to remove any tangles.
You are now all set to straighten your hair. Let’s jump to straightening your hair.
Straightening the hair:
- Turn on your flat iron and set the recommended temperature mentioned above.
- You can divide your hair into a different section using bobby pins to make even passes with your flat iron.
- Start from the scalp and go slowly toward the ends and try not to make multiple passes (dividing hair into sections will prevent some portion of hair to be passed multiple times under flat iron) as it will damage the hair.
- On the top section of your hair don’t get to close to root as it will decrease the volume of the hair. Thin hair can always use more volume.
- Move the flat iron along the length of the section and make sure you are steady in your movements and don’t hold flat iron in one place for a long time.
- Now remove any pins or clips which were applied to make sections of hair.
- If you are using an anti-frizz or setting spray then lift your hair and let your hair fall down as you spray your hair so that spray doesn’t sit heavily on your hair.
Common Mistake while Straightening the Hair:
- Applying flat iron on wet hair: Some people start applying flat iron to their hair while they are still wet. Never apply flat iron on wet hair. Make sure your hair is reasonably dry before applying the flat iron to your hair. You can burn your hair easily if you apply flat iron to damp hair.
- Usage of too many products: Don’t use too many products on your hair. Things mentioned in preparation sections are enough for straightening your hair. If you have used too many products on your hair you will see smoke.
- Skipping the necessary products:As the usage of too many products is dangerous, usage of no product will also damage your hair. For example, not using heat protection serum will damage your hair in the long term. You might not see the damage in the short-run but it will definitely act in the long term.
- Experimenting on temperature settings:Some people start flat iron at very low temperature to see if they can get the result at low temperature (for them it will prevent their hair from damage). But when they don’t get the desired result they go to a higher temperature. Experimenting like this on your hair will cause multiple passes and will damage your hair eventually. So start your hair straightening at the recommended temperature.
- Overlooking the technology used: Most of the people don’t look for the technology used in the flat iron. For fine hair, ionic technology is best and ceramic plates to be specific. If your hair straightener doesn’t have ceramic, tourmaline or titanium plates it is not ionic technology.
- Not letting your hair to cool: Don’t put your hair into clip or pony immediately after straightening. Let it cool first.
- Not Combing the hair:If the hair is not combed then they probably have knots and require multiple passes for straightening which causes damage.
- Untidy flat iron:With usage, dust settles on the plates of the flat iron. Make sure you clean your flat iron (while it is still cool) before applying it to hair. You can use Lukewarm water, spirit or alcohol for cleaning the plates.
Commonly asked questions about Flat iron for fine hair:
Q1. Is titanium or ceramic better for fine hair?
Titanium is the metal and gets heated up quickly and have greater heat penetration than ceramic plates. But fine hair have weak hydrogen bond and need less heat so, ceramic plates are better for fine hair.
Q2. Is straightening well for thin hair?
Straightening the hair settles the cuticles which decrease the volume of hair and make them light. So, it is not a good option for people with thin hair to straighten their hair because they are already having less hair volume. But please keep in mind that there is a difference between thin and fine hair (mentioned above).
Q3. Is ceramic or tourmaline better for your hair?
Tourmaline is the crystal which is ground finely and infused into ceramic plates to prevent hair from sticking to the plates. Usually, tourmaline comes infused in ceramic plates and not separately. So, ceramic plates are good but tourmaline-infused ceramic plates are even better.
Q4. Is smoothening harmful to hair?
Smoothening the hair causes the hair strand to become fine and smooth. Having already fine hair and smoothening it further results in breakage of hair. So, smoothening is not a good option for fine and thin hair. However, people having thick coarse hair can use smoothening treatment.
Q5. Can keratin give you cancer?
The higher concentration of anything is harmful. Formaldehyde, which is poisonous, is formed at higher concentration when heated i.e. hair straightening with keratin straighteners. People who have frequent exposure to the high level of keratin have a higher risk of cancer but keratin straighteners can be used occasionally.
Q6.What is the best material for flat iron?
For fine hair:
Ceramic plates have less heating capacity and when tourmaline is infused in ceramic plates it becomes non-sticky to hair which is good for fine hair. So for fine hair, ceramic plates with an infusion of tourmaline are the best material for a flat iron.
For thick hair:
Thick hair requires more heat to break their strong hydrogen bond and titanium is the metal which gets heated up quickly and has deeper heat penetration. So for thick hair, titanium is the best material for a flat iron.
Flat iron gives nice shinning, sleek look and reflection to your hair. The flat iron is easy to use at home but there are some precautions and preparations that need to be made before straightening your hair. If you are new to use a flat iron and don’t know which flat iron is perfect for your hair then read this article carefully. We have done research for you and not only mentioned the best flat irons for you but also the tips for how to use flat irons and how to straighten your hair properly without damaging them. Pickup one of the straightener mentioned above and you will surely see the best results and will not be uncertain about your flat iron anymore.