Comparission of Curling Wand and Curling Iron
Differences and Similarities
The maximum temperature that can be achieved by any hair appliances is the most critical factor to be considered as all hair is not made the same. Some hair requires high heat content like thick coarse hair while some hair types are styled at low temperatures like fine hair. Depending on your hair type you have to choose the curling tool that can style your hair easily.
Both curling wand and curling iron are capable of heating up to 450°F, so as far as it is about the maximum achievable temperature both the tools are fine.
It is nice to have a tool that can go up to 450° F but to how much degree is that temperature controllable? Well, that doesn’t depend on having curling wand or curling iron, that depends on what brand and model of hair styling tool you have.
Both curling wand and curling iron have a feature of variable temperature depending on the brand and model.
Material of Barrel Construction
The material of the barrel determines the quality of your curls and your hair health. The most common materials used in hot hair styling tools are ceramic, titanium and tourmaline. Both the curling wands and curling irons come in all these materials so they are the same if the material of construction is under consideration.
At first look, the difference you will see between a curling wand and curling iron is in appearance. Most of the curling wands have tapered ending while curling irons have a straight barrel. But don’t be deceived by this curling wand may have straight barrel too and there are many other distinguishing features.
Ease of Usage and Clip
The curling iron has a clip that holds your hair, while when styling hair with curling wand you have to hold your hair with your which might get inconvenient and increases the risk of damaging your hand if you ever accidentally touch the barrel of the curling wand with bare hands.
There is a need for extra protection while using a curling wand. If you want a tool that is safe and easy to use then you probably want to choose curling iron over curling wand.
Most of the people who use hair styling tools daily might be concerned about the time it takes to style the hair.
Curling wand might be uneasy to use but is much faster than curling iron in its operation. If you style your hair daily before going to work and don’t have much time to spend on hairstyling then you must choose curling wand over a curling iron.
People who don’t compromise on results of their hair styling tools no matter how much time or effort it takes, curling iron is the right choice for you. Curling iron surely takes more time for styling but curls produced by curling iron are more persistent than curls made my curling wand.
Versatility of Hair Styles
What we mean by the versatility of hairstyle is the type and size of curls you can make with your hair styling tool.
As mentioned previously, many curling wands have a tapered barrel which means the diameter of their barrel varies across its length. With variable diameter, you can get the variable size of hair curls. While curling iron has a straight barrel and gives you fix sized curls.
Moreover, many curling wands have interchangeable barrel which also increases the versatility of it, while curling irons lack this feature. So if you are looking for a single styling tool that can give you multiple hairstyles at the cost of ease then a curling wand is your answer.
Curling Wand Pros and Cons
- Fast: Styling with curling wand is much faster and easier. If you want to go to some event or office and don’t have much time to spend on hair than curling wand will help you to fight this situation.
- Versatile: Different size curls can be produced by the tapered barrel. Most of the curling wands have tapered barrel so that you can get the variable size of curls with just one tool.
- Beach Waves: Loose beach waves are produced by curling wand naturally and easily. Curling wand doesn’t focus on precision of curls, it rather leaves the hair with loose curls.
- Interchangeable Barrels:Barrel of most curling wand can be changed which increases its flexibility and versatility. Different barrels can be attached depending on your mood and hairstyle you want.
- Difficult to Use: As you already know, curling wand lacks clip and hence you have to hold your hair around the barrel with your bare hands which makes it difficult to use and increases the risk of injury.
- Sometime becomes inconvenient: Wrapping the hair around the barrel and holding your hair with hands require two hands for operation and become inconvenient sometimes.
- Ephemeral (short-lived) Style: Hairstyling with curling wand might be fast but is not quite precise and is short-lived which is undesirable for some people.
Curling Iron Pros and Cons
- Time Consuming: Precise hairstyles require more time. And curling hair around the barrel and then placing clip in the right manner at each section of hair also increases the styling time significantly.
- Un-natural Looks: There is a trade-off between precise curls and natural look. As you start increasing the precision of curls you begin to lose natural looks of hair. Hence it is entirely your preference, some people like precise styling and not worried about the unnatural look.
- Uniform and Precise Curls: Curls produced by curling iron are tight and precise by virtue of its clip which keeps hair in contact with the barrel as much as possible.
- Long Lasting Curls: Curls produced by curling iron are not only precise but also long-lasting. The more the contact of hair with the barrel, the more long-lasting is the hairstyles.
- Shiny Hair: One more advantage of precise hair styling is that it increases the shine and smoothness of your hair. However, smoothness mostly depends on the technology used by curling iron.
Which one is better Curling Wand or Curling Iron?
Both styling tools are good at their places and have their own pros and cons, but the choice of best depends on your preference. Both the styling tools work on the same principle i.e. breaking hydrogen bond of hair through heat.
If you want hair curls in no time and precision of curls are of no concern and you are not worried about the convenience of using the curling tool then curling wand is better for you.
On the other hand, if you desire precise curls with convenience and time required for styling is of no concern then curling iron is a better choice for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use curling iron as curling wand?
Curling iron and curling wand are more or less the same things, have the same features and have the same working principle. The major difference between them is that curling iron has a clip to hold your hair while the curling wand hasn’t. If you can remove the clip from curling iron somehow then yes, you can use curling iron as a curling wand.
Are curling wand easier to use?
When compared to a curling iron, the curling wand is difficult to use as you need to use both your hands, one to hold the curling wand and one to hold your hair around the barrel of the curling wand. Moreover, there is always the chance of damaging your hand if not used with care. However, it is not that difficult to use to not give it a try.
Is titanium or ceramic curling wand better?
Both the materials are most commonly used and are best in their performance but are designed for different hair types.
Titanium metal has high heat penetration and can heat up quickly, so if you have thick and coarse hair titanium is better for you. On the other hand, ceramic has the property of even heat distribution which is best for thin fine hair. So which one is better for you, depends on your hair type.
Please note that titanium curling wand can heat up pretty quickly and to an extreme level so extra protection and some level of professionalism are required to use them. Otherwise, you can damage your hair.
Curling wand and curling iron have many similarities and differences. Differences are what make them better for one person and not for others. But this is entirely dependent on your personal preference. There is no clear winner or loser in this comparison, both have their pros and cons. The complete comparison is provided in this article, now it’s your turn to make a decision about which one is better for you.